The energy and nutrients to any human body come from food. The proper food keeps the human body healthy and active to learn, think, move and work. The Food safety and standards Act 2006 was enacted to ensure that the food we eat after purchasing from the market is acceptable and good for human consumption. This act regulates and frames laws for import, distribution, storage, sale and manufacturing of food.
Every Food business operator who has a FSSAI Licence and a turnover more than Rs 12 lakh has to file the FSSAI Annual return. Apply for FSSAI Registration
1. FSSAI Annual Return
The Government of India launched the Food Safety and Standards Act 2006 to regulate the import, distribution, storage, manufacturing, sale of food products. Obtaining the licence, displaying the licence within the premises and on the food article is mandatory for every food business operator. Similarly, it is mandatory for every food business operator to file FSSAI Annual return
2. Who should file the FSSAI Annual return
It is essential for the following business to file the FSSAI return
- Every food business operator who has a business turnover equal to or more than Rs. 12 Lakhs
- Every business operator selling, exporting, importing, manufacturing, storing, distributing, handling or transporting any type of food product has to file FSSAI Annual return
- The business operator involved in the distribution and manufacturing of milk has to file half yearly returns.
3. Kinds of FSSAI returns
There are two kinds of FSSAI returns depending upon the food products. These are as follows:
- FSSAI Annual return
Every business operator selling, exporting, importing, manufacturing, storing, distributing, handling or transporting any type of food product has to file FSSAI Annual return
The FSSAI annual return form D1 is applicable for this category of food business operators. The due date for filing the Annual Return is 31st May of every year. This form is prescribed by the Food Safety Commissioner and irrelevant to the production that the business operators are involved in they have to file this form
This form is to be filed with the licencing authority of FSSAI
- FSSAI Half yearly return
The food business operators involved in the manufacturing and distribution of milk and milk products have to file FSSAI half yearly return with the licencing authority of FSSAI. This return is filed in FSSAI annual return form D2. The due dates for filing this return are 30th September and 30th March every year.
4. Details to be included in FSSAI Annual return Form
Every food manufacturer, packer, repacker, importer, labeller, re labeller have to mandatorily file the FSSAI annual return with the stipulated Food Safety Commissioner depending upon the category of food product sold or manufactured in the preceding year.
The information that is to be included in every FSSAI return form are:
- Name of the Food product that is imported, exported, manufactured, or handled by the business operator
- Size of the packaging material such as can or bottle
- Quantity of the food product in metric tone
- Value of the food product
- Quantity in kilograms of the food product that is imported or exported
- Selling price either per kg or per unit of package
- If exporting then the name of the countries where the food products are exported
- Rate per kg or per unit of the packaging FOB or CIF
5. Filing of FSSAI Annual return
The business can file the FSSAI Annual return as per their convenience. The return forms are also available in physical mode. So the food business operators can file the annual return electronically or physically whichever is suitable.
6. Steps to File an Annual return
Following are the steps to file an FSSAI Annual return electronically:
- Download the required form according to the food product that the business deals in from the official website of FSSAI. For milk unit, it is Form D2 while for all other units it is Form D1
- All the basic details related to the business have to be filled in appropriately and correctly
- All the information related to the previous year sales and quantity produced have to be collated and filled up in the form according to the relevant financial statements
- Fill all other details relevant to the food product of the business such as the name of the product, size of packaging material, quantity, sale price, imported quantity, name of the country, etc
- If this is the first year of business then put the details as nil
- Review all the filled up data and compare the same with the data filled while applying for the food licence. In case there happens to be any modification update the licence with the same.
- Once all the data is final submit the same. However, this return has to be sent to the licencing authority of the respective jurisdiction through registered post or through email
- The FSSAI does not confirm or acknowledge the submission of the returns. So keep a copy with you.
7. Businesses are exempted for filing FSSAI annual return
Following food business operators are exempted from filing the FSSAI Annual return:
- Fast Food Joints
- Grocery Stores
8. Penalty and Fine for not filing FSSAI return
The section 2.1.13 (3) of FSS (licencing and registration) Regulations, 2011 states that every food business operator who does not file the FSSAI Annual return within the stipulated time will be imposed a fine of Rs 100 per day till the date of delay persists
9. Other regulations of FSSAI Act
The additional regulations laid by the FSSAI Act that should be essentially followed by every Food business operator are as follows:
- The business should comply with all the prescribed compliances
- The regulations regarding the hygiene and sanitary of the premises and workers should be followed
- The records of sales, use, crude materials, and creation should be updated daily and kept independently
- The raw material used should be of mentioned ideal quality
- Any food article should not be produced, stored or exposed for sale near sullage, urinal, privy or channel of the waste issue
- The plant and machinery and all the types of equipment should be cleaned regularly
- The food items should be regularly tested for microbiological contaminants and pertinent synthetic material
- The required temperature for the food product should be maintained all through the store network right from sourcing till the end user receives it.
Filing the annual return is a daunting and tedious process. Every eatery, food distributor, manufacturer, handler, transporter, etc should file the annual return. With the help of an expert, the returns can be filed within the time and appropriately in the applicable forms with the prescribed authority.
11. Frequently Asked Questions:
1. How can I file FSSAI annual return?
For the merchants, there is an online quarterly reporting system available.
The food business operator involved in the manufacturing of milk and milk products has to file half yearly return in Form D2 online. And after that can be submitted manually to the concerned State or Central Licencing Authority.
All the other food business operators have to file the annual return in Form D1 annually online and then the physical form can be submitted to concerned State or Central authority.
2. Is FSSAI Licence mandatory for Trader?
Obtaining FSSAI licence is mandatory before starting any food business for all the business units including traders
3. What is Form A and Form B in FSSAI?
Form A is applicable for basic registration for petty food business under FSSAI when the annual turnover is less than Rs. 12 Lakhs.
While Form B is to be filled when the annual turnover is less than Rs 20 crores and limited to a specific state and the licence is to be obtained for State licence
4. What does FSSAI mean?
FSSAI is a short form for the Food Safety and Standards Authority of India, supreme regulatory authority for safeguarding and enacting laws for the food products.
5. What is the FSSAI role?
The major role of FSSAI is to develop scientific and preventive standards for food products and articles and to regulate and monitor the import, sale, distribution, storage and manufacturing and make available safe food for the consumption of human
6. How can I contact FSSAI?
FSSAI has established a dedicated helpline number for the concerns of consumers, stakeholders and Food business operators. This helpline works 24 by 7. The toll free number is 1800112100. Apart from this, there are other regulating officers placed at every State and Central Offices
7. What is the cost of FSSAI license?
The cost of FSSAI licence for state ranges from Rs 2000 to Rs. 5000 per year depending upon the type of business that is involved. While the cost of FSSAI licence for Central is Rs 7500 per year.
8. Who needs FSSAI certificate?
Every food business operator including petty food manufacturers, distributors, marketers, retailers, transporters, storage units, small sized manufacturers, etc has to obtain FSSAI certificate issued by the State Government.